.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Shall We Say?

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Clueless Mommies

Something that I heard a speaker say recently struck me in that way that makes you stop listening to what is being said while you go off down a rabbit trail in your own mind.

He referred to the good works of the saints and the fact that they do not do their works for recognition or the applause of men. In fact, he said, they are even clueless about their own deeds done in service to God. Matthew 25:37ff:

Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You? And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’


Clueless! I’ve read this passage a million times, but the Holy Spirit finally got through to me this time (I’m a little slow) that the saints were absolutely clueless about their works done in service to Christ.

Isn’t that funny. You see, I know my good works. I can keep track of them. I remember them and I pin them on my chest to remind myself that I am doing a decent job in my obedience to Christ. I even point them out to my wife so she will recognize what a spiritual and obedient man that I am.

But it isn’t those “good” works that the Good King commends; it is the works that the sheep were clueless about, the works they had no idea they were doing, that He recognizes.

Which brings me to this conclusion: Perhaps the most clueless saints of all are our faithful wives who labor daily, without recognition (ours or theirs), to serve the “least of these,” our covenant children.

How many good deeds of feeding, clothing, thirst quenching, diaper changing, spilled milk cleaning, boo boo kissing, room straightening, laundry folding, all-night sick child comforting, nose wiping, mud-track mopping, book reading, and bed making are done by our wives every day? And they’re clueless!

In fact, there is more good done for Jesus in faithfully raising and nurturing these precious “least ones” than is done in the most public and visible works of service we can think of.

Mothers – doing these things you do every day is significant because doing them is serving the least of these – and serving the least of these is serving Christ.

Remember, as you pour orange juice and change diapers, your daily labor is of eternal significance!

7 Comments:

  • Wow. Good stuff. Thank you Greg.

    By Blogger Mike Terrell, at Wednesday, April 20, 2005 2:15:00 PM  

  • I thank you with tears...

    By Anonymous Mother of 3, at Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:31:00 PM  

  • Greg, I've heard you say a lot over the years, but this is by far the best ("AIE" was NOT your finest regardless of what you think) Thanks from one tired (and mostly clueless) mommy.

    By Anonymous Eryn, at Thursday, April 21, 2005 3:15:00 PM  

  • Mike,

    Thanks - glad you were blessed.

    Mother of 3,
    You have your hands full .... of blessing. Thanks for building the Kingdom through your "clueless" labors.

    Eryn,
    What can I say? I am so thrilled that you are clueless - HA! Your endorsement is pretty significant considering all the words we have had over the years. It means a lot to me. Thank you and keep on!

    By Blogger g_man, at Friday, April 22, 2005 5:56:00 PM  

  • Talk about clueless. I didn't even know you had a blog until I read a comment over at Amy's that mentioned it.

    You're right. I've read those verses countless times and never came away with that perspective. Thanks for unfolding the Word.

    By Blogger jaygee, at Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:13:00 PM  

  • jaygee,

    Glad you found me. You and three others. HA! Amy's a tough act to follow.

    Hope you're feeling better (and I hope it wasn't the chicken!)

    Greg

    By Blogger g_man, at Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:07:00 PM  

  • Greg_ Boy did I pick a great day to finally check out your blog:) Thanks for the wonderful post and for pointing out that scripture. I bet I've read that a zillion times (well, maybe not a zillion) and never noticed that. I really enjoy Amy's blog and I've really enjoyed hearing your perspective over at EU so I'll have to try to keep up over here, too:)

    By Blogger Shannon, at Monday, May 16, 2005 2:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home